Saint Lazarus’ Court is a complex of four social housing blocks that encircle a central court. The interbellum architecture (1927), designed by Joseph Diongre, is characterized by the particular galleries that access the individual apartments.
180 units have been renovated and transformed into 84 larger units, equipped to meet present standards of comfort, designed by the temporary association JMG Architects and cm architectes associés. The main facades with the galleries have been conserved and their insulation improved, but the rear facades were rebuilt.
The entire project is a sustainable development: energy saving is an essential requirement to receive grants for the renovation. Insulation of outer facades and new outdoor joinery from FSC-material ensures better thermal performances. Furthermore, the building blocks dispose of communal hot water production, a cogeneration installation and ventilation system with heat recuperation.
The principal structural work included the reinforcement of the existing floors in armoured terra cotta with floor screed in micro concrete. Numerous floors and walls also have new openings, in order to join the original units into larger accommodations. Lifts, footbridges between the building blocks and broadened balconies improve accessibility.