Fire Safety Engineering
VK’s Fire Safety Engineering team is committed to protect people, structures and goods from the destructive consequences of smoke and fire at the lowest possible cost while maintaining the architect’s vision. Our engineers have extensive knowledge of both the theoretical and practical application of all aspects of fire engineering. Our aim is to deliver innovative solutions, based on broad academic knowledge of fire dynamics, while ensuring that every solution we develop:
- respects and even enhances the functional design characteristics of modern buildings and infrastructures;
- reduces construction costs without reducing the level of fire safety
- is a practical integrated solution within the budget and planning
- provides a safety level in accordance with local and international legislation
- advances the approval process.
Performance based fire safety engineering
In performance based design, fire safety is achieved by applying calculations, science, and engineering to determine how a building would respond to fire, rather than by showing that it meets a checklist of prescriptive building and fire codes. Traditional prescriptive solutions often restrict the optimal commercial use of modern public buildings housing many different functions. To overcome these design challenges, our engineers apply ‘performance based’ fire safety principles techniques meeting quantitative performance criteria (ex. tenable conditions during evacuation) and approved by the stakeholders at the start of the design process. Our methodology is based on International Codes and Standards.
VK offers a full range of fire safety engineering services from the design process towards detailed engineering:
- development of comprehensive fire safety strategies based on risk assessment;
- conceptual and detailed design of passive fire protection systems: strategic design advice to architects regarding compartmentation, evacuation, use of materials;
- conceptual and detailed design of active fire protection systems: sprinkler-, water mist systems, gas extinguishing systems, fire detection systems, fire alarm and evacuation systems, smoke and heat evacuation ventilation systems. The proposed solutions are supported by means of fire dynamic calculations (smoke filling time, detector activation time,…) or by using advanced zone models and computational fluid dynamics (C.F.D.);
- evaluation of the evacuation conditions by calculating the available evacuation time using evacuation computational models;
- advanced structural fire analysis using finite element analyses techniques (F.E.A.);
- support to our clients throughout the approval process